Monday, September 11, 2006

TIFF: Shot in the Dark and MacBeth

My Sunday was a bit less successful than the Saturday, but it still made for some interesting viewing. Notes below:

Picture of Light (1994): This retrospective entry allowed me to catch up on the work of Peter Mettler who had been a consultant for Jennifer Baichwal's Manufactured Landscapes. I love the photography of the Northern Lights, but I did find the set up a bit long.

Shot in the Dark (2006): Adrian Grenier of Entourage and The Devil Wear's Prada entered a documentary about his attempts to reconnect with his biological father. I may try to write more about this one. It started fairly conventional but increased in complexity as it revealed more of itself. A solid first effort that managed to go over what could have been well picked ground and still offer a few surprises. It included some interesting reflections on fatherhood and the timeless nature/nurture debate.

Born and Bred (2006): This entry from Argentinian Pablo Trapero was not my favorite. It involves a man in paint who retreats emotoinally and geographically from in order to heal and his eventual decisions about whether and how to try to reconnect.

MacBeth (2006): Geoffrey Wright directs an amped up, violent version of the Scottish play with the characters in a mob-like setting. Undeniably stylish, the film may border on nihilistic (I'll have to think about it some more before I decide). It does a good job creating its own world rather than relying on the shock value of the anachrnistic, but I felt it lose momentum in the second half...though I'm not sure why. (It was the last film I saw, so I'm still processing it). It's worth pointing out for Christians that there is some heavy violence and prolonged nudity. Both worked within the context of the film (though the latter was a bit over-the-top), but it's not directed toward the study hall crowd, methinks.

No comments: