Tuesday, July 17, 2007

2007 Disc Golf Trip--Days 6/7; Wisconsin, Minnesota, Fargo

Lot of driving and disc golfing and not much else.

Played Deforest, Wisconsin. It was a traditional ball golf layout. Wide/generous fairways, slightly longer drives than I could make. Some obstacles but not tight. I think I threw the Sidewinder like 14 of 18 drives. Nice signage and well thought out, but not too exciting. Definitely the sort of course that the better player would win, since there isn't much here to punish less than good shots, so it's about making good shots (longer) consistently. I think Cindy and I threw a 53 or so.

Played Acorn Park in St. Paul. It wasn't as short as I thought, and the signage made it unclear as to which tees to play. We ended up playing some combination of longs and shorts, I think. We shot a 50, including throwing in a 80 foot chip or so with the Roc.

Played Oak Grove Park in Fargo. Got there late in the day and started on Hole 10. Birdied the first three holes (10, 11, and 12) and missed a makeable putt for birdie on the next. Then settled down. Muddy course (on Red River Bed, looks like it floods some time), but I settled down after that and took an irritating five on 560 foot hole 18. Finished with a 51.

Minnesota and Wisconsin are really quite beautiful this time of year. Lots of huge farms which look majestic rather than dull because of undulating hills rather than perfectly flat land.

Been playing some good golf, but I think the "great" round may be trying to get out.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Sounds like you're having a good time. We miss you & Cindy. Knock their socks off--or whatever's appropriate in disc-golf!
Appreciated the Artemisia/David & Bathsheba poem.