Wednesday, July 11, 2007

2007 Disc Golf Trip--Day 1: Winston-Salem

Cindy again decided to join me on this year's summer disc golf excursion, mostly because I was going by North Dakota, the only continental state she has not yet visited. My goal is to play disc golf in all fifty states, and this trip should add six to my current total of thirty.

I'm still a bit sore from The Great 8, so we are easing into the disc golf part of the trip. Today's drive went from Fuquay-Varina to Charleston, WV, with a stop in Winston-Salem to play Horizon's Park.

I've played the course twice before, and the first time I did I shot a 49. Cindy and I play doubles and we shoot a 49; it's hard not to look at that as signifying that I haven't improved. I know I have, though. It's a very windy day, so conditions aren't great. There has to be some other indication of improvement besides continually raising the bar on your best ever. While I'm putting well, I'm approaching poorly and I make two mental errors. So perhaps one mark of improvement is that I tied a previous "hot" round even though I'm struggling. I make two long putts, but I'm beginning to notice that some of my approaches in the 100-150 foot range are not as precise as they should be. I also still pick the wrong disc on occasion. We take three fours (inexcusable), and one is on a hole where I remind myself that the only way to get a four is to go in the bush to the left of the hole--which I promptly do.

To focus on the positives: I am increasingly my distance a little, especially throwing uphill. I get a birdie into the wind on a right turning uphill hole that I probably wouldn't have reached before.

Overall, it was a good way to break up the drive, and a fun course to play to get into the flow.

Horizon's Park: Winston-Salem, NC.
2-2-4 2-3-4 2-2-3 (24) Out
2-2-3 3-4-3 2-3-3 (25) In 49

No comments: